Q & A
1) Is the hotel child-friendly?
Yes, it is (especially for infants and small children).
2) Are your rooms and communal areas designed with children and child safety in mind?
Our hotel was not designed prioritizing children's safety (as we became popular with families in the last few years). While we always have each guest's safety in mind, parents with small children are always requested to pay extra attention and never leave their children unsupervised.
3) I am a solo traveler or a couple without children. I hear that your hotel is very popular with families with small children. Will I feel comfortable in such an environment?
Ammos welcomes customers of all ages. The shallow, sandy bay right in front of the hotel is indeed very suitable for babies and toddlers but our hotel is also popular with couples for its relaxed ambience, expert concierge service and peaceful seaside restaurant. That said if one is allergic to children then ammos is probably not the right hotel.
4) Are there any hidden costs that I should be aware of?
No (only remember that breakfast is not included in the room rate).
5) Are the sun loungers by the pool and on the beach free of charge?
Yes, they are.
6) Do you provide complimentary beach towels?
7) Do you have a private beach?
No, we do not, but the beach in front of the hotel is primarily used by our guests.
8) Can we use your restaurant or pool and beach facilities even though we are not straying with you?
We accept non-hotel guests at our restaurant strictly on a walk-in basis. This means we cannot accept reservations ahead of the time. As our hotel guests have priority seating, walk-in guests are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Use of the pool and beach facilities is not permitted – these are exclusive to ammos guests.
9) We are staying with you and have friends staying in some other hotel. Can we bring them along and use the restaurant and pool/beach?
Please talk with our front desk. The possibility of accommodating such a request is decided upon once several factors have been taken into account (number of people, age of the children, time of day etc).
10) Is your pool heated?
Yes- as from March 2015 our pool will be heated in the cooler months (April and October) to an average of 25 degrees Celsius.
11) How often do you clean the rooms?
12) Are you environmentally conscious?
Yes, we are. We have a eco-friendly pool heating system, use solar energy for hot water, bio-degradable cleaning products and recycle paper, plastic, tin, perishable goods. Guests are also given the option of having their towels and linen changed once every 2 days (instead of daily).
13) How far away are you from the old city of Chania? Can I walk there?
We are 5 km away, 1 hour walk or 15 minutes by taxi (8-10 euro) or bus (every 20 minutes, tickets at 1,1 euro) ride.
14) Do you have sufficient parking space on your premises for all guests?
We have a private open air parking lot on our premises and most of the time this is sufficient for all our guests' cars. If there is no available space there, guests can park on the public road outside the hotel (or ask for our help).
15) What can be found in the vicinity of ammos (with regards to walks, restaurants, shops, entertainment etc)?
Within walking distance you will encounter a small beautiful woods/park area, a children's entertainment venue, several mini-markets, small shops, supermarkets (500m), paddle boat rental and a few local taverns. The only eateries we recommend other than ours (as we are a bit fussy with food), are 2 very simple family-run taverns in the small villages of Daratsos and Galatas-both are a 20 minutes uphill walk. Note that for the biggest part of the walk there is no decent sidewalk so pushing a stroller can be difficult.
16) Are there mosquitoes in the room?
While they are fewer than in other places, there can still be mosquitoes depending on the heat and the season. If you are sensitive to mosquitoes we recommend you use the small tablet machine - which is an insect repellent (found in your drawer) and follow some common sense general precautions (have the balcony door closed in the night etc).
17) I am allergic to cats - do you have stray cats in the hotel?
Yes, we do have stray cats like in most of the summer hotels in Greece.
18)I want to hike the Samaria gorge; do I have to pre-book it?
No need for that. You can always book (at the front desk) up to the afternoon of the day before.
19) What is your smoking policy?
While smoking within your hotel room is not allowed, guests can smoke in the open space restaurant and in their private terraces and verandas.
20) Do you propose any special excursions, private guided tours etc?
Yes, we do. Guests can find a regularly updated concierge file at the front desk while current and local news are updated on a daily basis on our black board at the hotel entrance. For more info, contact our concierge or anyone at the front desk.
21) Is there a kettle in the room?
We have a small compact kitchenette (with a corian worktop) which includes a fridge, 2 hot plates and sufficient equipment including a kettle.
22) Do you provide any cleaning sponge and dishwashing liquid for the dishes?
No, we do not but we clean your dishes every time we clean your room.
23) Do you provide transfer from Crete's airports/ports?
If you do not wish to take one of the taxis which are readily available at Crete's ports and airports, feel free to contact our concierge for an advantageous rate booking of a private taxi.
24) Do you provide laundry and dry cleaning service?
Yes, we do and at very reasonable rates. You give us your laundry / dry cleaning early in the morning and we return later that evening or morning of the following day.
25) What do you provide for babies and toddlers?
We provide baby-cots, baby chairs (in the restaurant and in the room), baby baths, baby blankets, baby towels, baby monitor, bottle sterilizer, moulinex-multi blender and toilet potty. Baby cubicle changer in our public toilets.
26) Do you have a designated children's play area?
Yes, we have a play room. It is best suited to children up to 5 years old and is mostly parent supervised (we still have a nanny 2 hours daily Mon-Fri)..
27) What are your baby sitting rates?
Babysitting and child care are available by pre-arrangement at 8 euro per hour when 1 child/baby and at 10 euro per hour when 2 babies/children. In both cases the minimum is 2 and half hours.
28)Does Ammos offer any massages and treatments?
Yes, we have a handful of 60 minute selected massages which take place in our small spa facility. You can either pre-book (email us and we’ll send you a list of ammos’ massages) or book at the front desk while staying with us.
29) Other than massages (taken place at ammos’ little spa), what other like services are offered either at ammos or nearby?
Within a few meters of Ammos, you will find both a hairdressing and beauty salon. Instructors of a local gym near to ammos also offer a variety of other activities such as TRX, Pilates and Power Yoga. Also, keep in mind that we have a small gym at ammos (newly established in 2014) equipped with a treadmill, elliptical trainer/walker, bench press, weights and TRX equipment.
30) What is the check-in and check-out time?
Check-in is at 13:00 and check-out at 12:00.
31) What is the opening and closing time of the front desk?
Front desk is open around the clock.
32) We arrive late and want to eat at ammos when we arrive. Will your kitchen be closed by then?
Our kitchen is open till 23h00. Should you arrive after this time, our staff will happily prepare a toast or something similar should you be hungry. Please let us know if you wish us to place something in your room for your arrival. Alternatively, you can have a look at our menu at: http://www.ammoshotel.com/files/Menu.pdf and call us before your arrival at ammos (by 22h00 latest) with your order. Your meal will then be ready for your arrival. Kindly note this will be served either room temperature or warmed up in the microwave.
33) I want to stay longer in my room on departure date; is this possible and how much do you charge?
We charge 10 euro per hour after midday. We only know if it is possible on the day of your departure (you cannot have it pre-arranged unless you wish to book the room for an extra night). Remember that if you want to stay longer on your departure date and there are no rooms available, you are welcome to use our public late check-out facilities (shower and dressing room).
34) I am a honeymooner and I want stay with you. Do we receive any special "honeymoon" treatment?
Not unless you ask for it. Email us and let us know if you want to find something special in your room (e.g. roses, champagne) and we will gladly deliver the requested service.
35) Do you support the local market?
Absolutely! We buy local products such as cheese, honey, vegetables, meat, poultry, fruits, wine, olive oil, hand-picked mountain herbs, spices and teas.
36) Does the restaurant cater for vegetarians, vegans and those with lactose intolerance or gluten allergies?
Yes, there are dishes which are suitable for vegetarians, vegans and/or those who are lactose or gluten intolerant (please inform the front desk and the waiter in charge about your allergies).
37) What is the weather like in April and October (the beginning and end of the summer season)?
April days are normally warm and sunny. While our pool is heated to a 25 degree Celsius average, the sea water is still quite fresh; one can enjoy sunbathing both on beach and by the pool. October days are mostly mild, warm and sunny, average day temperature is 25-28 degrees. The sea water is warm and swimmable (around 22-24 degrees) and our pool is heated to an average of 25 degrees so you can enjoy time at both. In both April and October, evenings are cool (bringing a jacket with is a good idea). Of course – as good weather is never guaranteed - there may be a few rainy days scattered around these months.
38) Is the tap water drinkable in the hotel?
It is perfectly drinkable.
tel: +30 28210 33003-25 fax: +30 28210 31635
winter phone number: +30 6946009686